Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Depression State Troopers Interview



Mint 400 Records Interviews Tim Williams and Jacob Jones of Depression State Troopers.

With their new full-length album The Reason for The Fall set to release this October 5th, Mint 400 got to talk to Tim Williams and Jacob Jones of Depression State Troopers about the group and its endeavors along with the anticipated record.



Sep 21, 2010 – With their new full-length album The Reason for The Fall set to release this October 5th, Mint 400 got to talk to Tim Williams and Jacob Jones of Depression State Troopers about the group and its endeavors along with the anticipated record.

Mint 400: To start off, what genre of music would you consider your work to be? Who/what are your major influences?

Tim Williams: Indie-Country. I'm really drawn to anything that is heartfelt and honest -
something you actually believe when it hits your ears.

Jacob Jones: There is something country about the record for sure, but I think it is a
simple, honest record about what was going on in our lives at the time, and the sounds
came easily after the basic tracks were written.

Mint 400: How long have you all known each other? How did you meet?

TW: Jacob and I have known each other for about 3 years. We met through a mutual
friend who I lived with in Nashville.
JJ: This is true. Even though we both lived in NYC at the same time before that and
never met.

Mint 400: When did you form your band? What inspired you to make music together?

TW: I had had the name Depression State Troopers in mind for a year or so before
anything was recorded. Jacob is one of the hardest working songwriters in the game
and he was the obvious choice to complete this outfit.
JJ: Tim told me the concept and the name, and was like "I love that name!" So, we
started emailing songs back and forth and the next thing you know, we had our record.

Mint 400: Where have you both performed? What are your favorite and least favorite venues? And do you guys have any upcoming shows?

TW: Both Jacob and I have toured extensively throughout the US and I even a bit in
the UK. World Cafe Live in Philadelphia is one of the nicest venues I have played. I
would also put The Foundation Room at The House Of Blues in LA and The Eastbourne
Theatre in England up there. We are in the process of setting up some Troopers shows
when Jacob and my busy schedules allow us to.
JJ: Yea, Tim and I are planning some DST shows for 2010 and 2011, but right now our
solo careers are too demanding. Union Pool in Brooklyn, The Basement in Nashville,
and Fitzgerald's in Chicago... those are my favorite places to play, great every single
time. The least favorites shall remain many and nameless.

Mint 400: Which songs do you perform most frequently? Do you ever play any covers? Do you have a set play list?

TW: "Take My Hair" and "Blood In My Veins" are a couple of my favorites to play live.
No covers, no way! Jacob and I write enough on our on to fill an hour. We also write a
set list on a show by show basis.
JJ: We haven't tackled any covers yet, but I've been thinking of "Blame it on The Rain".
I haven't told Tim yet though.

Mint 400: What are the main themes or subjects for most of your songs? Do you think these topics will change over time?

TW: The 3 L's: Love, Loss and Longing. I sure hope they change over time, this stuff is
depressing! (jk)
JJ: To be honest, they have already changed. This record is such a time capsule for
me, which is why I think its remarkable...my experience listening to it still takes me back
to the winter it was made. I think the topics should always change or else why make
another record?

Mint 400: Could you briefly describe the music-making process for the record?

TW: We did this record in a totally backwards way. We laid down all the acoustic guitars
and vocals straight to tape and then added bass, keys, and lastly drums to fill them out.
I think this is the reason the record is so loose and comforting.
JJ: Yea, at first, we didn't foresee even using drums or bass.... but that quickly changed
in the 3 days we made the record. We went in a Monday and by Wednesday night, we
had tracked everything.

Mint 400: How has your music evolved since you first began playing music together?

TW: For me, I think I realized how nice simple chords sounded and how much fun
playing music with a band can be.
JJ: Haha, mine has gone almost the opposite, I started with a rather large revolving
door band of cast members, but now I mostly tour solo or as duo. I try to keep it as
simple as possible.

Mint 400: What has been your biggest challenge as a band? Have you been able to overcome that challenge? If so, how?

TW: Distance. Jacob lives in Nashville and I live in Los Angeles so it's not the easiest
thing in the world to play a show or rehearse.
JJ: agreed.

Mint 400: What advice do you have for people who want to form their own bands?

TW: I would say do something that you will love in 5 years time. Trying to sound like
another band or keep up trends won't get you very far.
JJ: Don't do it, go to a trade school...maybe become a carpenter. I need some things
built.

Mint 400: Is there anyone you'd like to acknowledge for offering financial or emotional support?

TW: My girlfriend Sabrina and the city of Nashville. Both of whom took me places far
above and beyond I ever thought I'd reach.
JJ: There are so many, Andrija Tokic (the producer) was great to work with, he made
the record shape up sonically just as much as we did. My girlfriend Molly McClary also
sang back up on "I Love You Like The Night Loves The Moon" and is always a good
source of support, when I'm not sleeping on the couch.

Mint 400: Any last words?

TW: Pick up a copy of our record and listen to it from start to finish. You will thank us.
JJ: pick up 2 copies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers